Kiyomi and the Gang

Saturday, February 12, 2011

The question is...


Music: “It’s Only Rock n Roll”/The Rolling Stones (right now: Ain’t Too Proud To Beg)

Mood: slightly - and very slowly - upwards

In my glass: Shiraz (Australian)


Lazy day - my typical “the day after Thursday”


R. (a Dutch) was once explaining to J. (an American, from Nebraska!) how to get back to the high way.

- “...So, you turn right at the end of the street. Keep on the left lane then you eventually go into a tunnel.”

- “...ok...”

- “...If you come out of the tunnel, take the right lane and follow it till the first traffic lights....”

- “...er... ok. But... what if I don’t come out of the tunnel???”


Ha! For the first time it was really clear to me (in a situation like this, anyway): the difference between “if” and “when”. At least, I don’t remember my English teachers at school ever had explained it.

And it’s also a bit funny that the Dutch can make the same kind of mistake.


Hm... then.... a question I have right now: is it “if” or “when”?

Wish I knew.



Tune now playing: “Dance Little Sister” (from “It’s Only Rock N Roll”)

...good old Stones!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home