Kiyomi and the Gang

Monday, January 24, 2005

After Amélie...

Music: “Hejira” by Joni Mitchell (Thanks, Paul!)
Mood: “…talk to me, talk to me…” (a phrase from a song of J. Mitchell – I don’t remember the title… Don’t know which album, either).

Saw "Un Long Dimanche de Fiançailles" tonight. OK, after Amélie, it would be a very, very big challenge for Tatou to play any other personages. But we also expect (and WANT to see) some Amélie-elements, don't we? Well, I think she did her best to be Mathilde here, and I - as an Amélie fan - am satisfied with the atmosphere of Amélie. The movie has a lot of blood and horrible scenes (Renske had to close her eyes very often, she says) because of the time in which the story goes… during WO I. I wonder how it is in the book which this film is based on. I understand that in the book there’s much more blood (yeck!) = cruelty of war. In the film it is still expressed in Jeunet’s way, very dry and – eh – “huh?” and “ah!”way. To understand and discover more of the details, I will have to go to see it once (or more) again.
Is Jeunet going to make the next Harry Potter film? I read in the paper that he had said NO, but today I heard he was going to do it. Well, I'm very curious.

I came home around 1 o’clock. It’s freezing tonight. At the very moment when I got home – I was just off of my bike – it started to snow. Brrrr. A big mug of hot chocolate was the first thing I had in my mind.

Covered with icy snow in 2 minutes...
...in less than 2 minutes...

8 Comments:

  • At January 24, 2005 at 11:50:00 PM GMT+1, Blogger Borya said…

    OK, I have to step in for Audrey Tautou. She is known for more than Amélie, although Amélie keeps sticking in our memory. Very recommendable movies are:
    A la folie ... pas du tout
    Le Battement d'ailes du papillon
    L'auberge espagnole
    Dieu est grand, je suis tout petite ...

    "If I reach the car, Meneche is still alive ..."

     
  • At January 25, 2005 at 12:08:00 AM GMT+1, Blogger Kym. said…

    She ran and ran through the hill. “If I’m there at the turn earlier than the car, Meneche comes back home alive…” But, alas, the car had passed the turn already…
    Poor Mathilde...:-(

    Kym.

     
  • At January 25, 2005 at 1:02:00 PM GMT+1, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Kym,
    Nice to see you at the movies. Too bad though that we couldn't have a drink afterwards. About Audrey Tatou, I heard she's will be one of the leading characters in The Da Vinci Code. Did you read the book? I liked it a lot, but now it has become so popular that a lot of people feel it's no longer intellectual to like it ;). I don't care though.

    See you on Friday,
    Renz

     
  • At January 25, 2005 at 1:16:00 PM GMT+1, Blogger Kym. said…

    Hiya Renz,
    I heard that, too. I haven't read the book, it's still on my list. Pity we could not have a drink + chat afterwards, but it was already pretty late, too. We're going to catch up on Friday ;-)
    Kym.

     
  • At January 28, 2005 at 10:50:00 PM GMT+1, Blogger Victor said…

    Is this movie still at the theater or on DVD? Sounds like a good one to watch some day - but if it's in theater probably not playing in this "cow town".

     
  • At January 29, 2005 at 1:53:00 AM GMT+1, Blogger Kym. said…

    Hi Victor,
    In Holland, this film is in the theatre now. It’s a “major” production of Warner Bros., it should be playing (if not now, then soon) there in Colorado Springs too! ;-)
    Kym.

     
  • At January 29, 2005 at 4:36:00 AM GMT+1, Blogger Victor said…

    Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for it. If it's a foreign language film them it will get very limited play (if any) in a town like mine. However, we do have one theater downtown that plays all the "art" films. Oh, and they have absolutely the most amazing popcorn of any theater! You can even get a glass of joy juice in the lobby!

     
  • At January 29, 2005 at 4:42:00 AM GMT+1, Blogger Kym. said…

    :-D I love popcorn! ...joy juice too!
    Kym.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home