Kiyomi and the Gang

Monday, October 25, 2004

De Dom

De Dom, the symbol of the city of Utrecht, is the highest church tower (112m/approx. 367ft?) in the Netherlands. You have to climb the 465 steps to reach the top observatory as it has no elevator or escalator. But believe me, it’s worth the knee-killing climbing because, when the weather is right, you have a real awesome view up there over the Province of Utrecht (and even further!). De Dom is “the heart” of Utrecht in the literal and figurative sense. Having been out of town, I come back to Utrecht and see De Dom welcoming me – then I feel at home, nice and safe.

De Dom/Dom Tower
De Dom/Dom Tower


5 Comments:

  • At October 26, 2004 at 9:15:00 AM GMT+2, Blogger Borya said…

    Now that the Netherlands are flat, you must be able to see as far as the Bavarian Alps!!

     
  • At October 27, 2004 at 2:18:00 AM GMT+2, Blogger Kym. said…

    Well-uh... once in a blue moon :-P So, you have to be lucky.
    Kym.

     
  • At October 27, 2004 at 3:43:00 PM GMT+2, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Don't be so negative, Kiyomi, the weather has been great all week! And what I was wondering, did you actually climb the tower or did other people tell you about it... :)

    Renske

     
  • At October 27, 2004 at 3:58:00 PM GMT+2, Blogger Kym. said…

    That's true, Renske. It's not so bad - like today, not bad at all! It's perfect to climb up De Dom. :-)
    And, you know, I have climbed De Dom at least 10 times already! Almost every time when I have guests from abroad (or from other city in the Netherlands...like Amersfoort), I climb the tower with them. BTW, have you ever been up there? ;-)
    Kym.

     
  • At October 28, 2004 at 1:53:00 PM GMT+2, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Actually, no.. did not :). But when I'm visiting Utrecht again, please guide me around the city!

    To be totally honest with you, I didn't even climb the Onze Lieve Vrouwe Tower in Amersfoort yet...

    Renske

     

Post a Comment

<< Home